EU Registration Certificate (CUE): Step by step Procedure to get it

The EU Registration Certificate (CUE) or "Green NIE" is the document that allows a EU citizen to live in Spain. How to obtain it? Here we'll tell you!
man pointing to the EU Registration Certificate

Tabla de Contenido

The EU Registration Certificate (CUE) is the identification document that validates the EU/EEA (European Economic Area) citizen’s registration in the Central Registry Office for Foreigners; and that validates their residence in Spain for a period of more than 3 months, as defined by the National Police.

It is a mandatory document that is requested personally before the Immigration Offices of the Spanish province where you intend to stay or reside, and alternatively, you can also apply at your corresponding Police station.

But, how do you get it? What requirements are needed? What documentation? Here we’ll explain to you what is the step-by-step procedure to get your EU Registration Certificate, keep reading!

And, if you have any doubts, you can communicate with Entre Trámites to schedule a free consultation. We can help you manage this procedure!

Who should apply for the CUE?

All citizens of the following countries must process the EU Registration Certificate if they wish to reside in Spain for a period exceeding 3 months:

European Union (EU) countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden.

European Economic Area (EEA) countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway.

Part of the European Single Market: Switzerland.

Requirements to obtain the CUE

To get your CUE (or Green NIE, as it is commonly called), you must request a prior appointment with the Public Administration (we indicate this step below) and meet one of the following conditions:

  • Be an employed worker (“cuenta ajena”) in Spain
  • Be self-employed (“autónomo”) in Spain
  • To have sufficient financial resources to support yourself and your family members (if this is the case). To have public or private health insurance, contracted in Spain or in another country, which covers the policies in Spain acquired in the co-payment plan.
  • Be a student enrolled in a Spanish public or private school recognized or funded by the Educational Administration to pursue studies or professional training. In addition, to declare that they have sufficient financial means for themselves and to have public or private health insurance contracted in Spain or in another country that provides complete coverage in Spain. In this case, co-payment policies are not accepted.
  • Be a national of an EU Member State, or a family member accompanying or meeting an EU citizen that meets any of the aforementioned conditions. The relative can be a spouse, civil partner, children under or over the age of 21 who live under your care, ascendants or direct descendants, or those of your spouse or partner who live under your care. 

In cases where you must declare that you have sufficient financial means, the sufficiency will be assessed taking into account the personal and family situation of the applicant. The resources must be greater than the amount set each year by the General State Budget Law so they qualify for the right to receive a non-contributory benefit, taking into account the personal and family situation of the applicant. 

Documentation to be submitted

Each and every applicant must submit the following paperwork:

  •  Official model EX-18 (original and a copy) printed, duly completed and signed by the applicant.
  • Copy of the valid passport, especially the biographical data sheet, travel document, registration card, or identity card if the applicant is a Union citizen.
  • Updated Empadronamiento certificate (less than 3 months) of the entire family unit (collective). 
  • Fee 790 Code 012, paid.

But, if you are a worker, student, a family member, or if you do not exercise any economic activity in Spain, you must submit these additional documents:

Employed worker

You must provide the resolution of registration in Social Security, the communication of registration, or the consent to the verification of your data in the files of the General Treasury of the Social Security, plus an employment contract of at least 3 months. 

In the case of being a displaced worker, provide the A1 and S1 documents or private medical insurance.

Self-employed worker

Present the resolution of registration in Social Security or in one Mutual Society (doctors, lawyers, etc.), in addition to the commitment to remain registered as a self-employed worker for a minimum of 3 months.


  • Enrollment in a public or private educational center, recognized or financed by the Educational Administration.
  • S1 document, European Health Insurance Card, public or private health insurance.
  • Declaration of sufficient financial resources for themselves and their family during their residency.

Relative of a Union citizen

  • Documentation proving the family link with the Union citizen, also providing their CUE.
  • Documentation accrediting economic dependence.
  • Accreditation that the family member is an employed worker or self-employed, has sufficient financial means and health insurance, or accreditation that they are a student.
  • In case of spouses or partners: Updated marriage certificate (less than 6 months), duly legalized and translated; EU Registration Certificate of the spouse and Working Life Report of the spouse where their registration as a worker is recorded (if not working, proof of the economic means and health coverage). 
  • In case of minors: Duly legalized and translated birth certificate (or Family Book), EU Registration Certificate of the parent(s); Working Life Report of the parent where the registration as a worker is recorded (if they do not work, proof of the economic means and health coverage); Authorization of the other parent in case of residing only with one of them, by notarial deed or declaration before a public official.

If a work activity is not carried out in Spain

  • Documentation proving that you have public or private health insurance contracted in Spain or in another country, that provides coverage in Spain during the residence, equivalent to that provided by the national health system. Policies contracted in the co-payment plan are not accepted.
  • Accreditation of sufficient financial means to support themselves and their relatives during their residence in Spain (property titles, certified checks, obtained capital income, credit card statement, etc.)
  • Bank certifications from other States, notarized and duly translated into Spanish.

How do I get an appointment for my CUE?

To obtain your EU Registration Certificate (CUE), you must schedule a previous appointment in the Electronic Headquarters of the Public Administration (sadly, for this procedure there is no English version available).

Once on the page, you select the province where you will reside and request the CUE; and in the type of procedure to request you click on EU Citizen Registration Certificate. Then, you click on ACCEPT.

Previous appointment on the internet

This will redirect you to another page, go down to the end of it and click on the button Access the Procedure.

Access the appointment procedure

On the new page, you select your province again and click on ACCEPT.

Select your province and read the conditions before accepting

Then, you select the nearest police station to your home and the type of procedure you will make.

Select the nearest police station
Select the type of procedure, in this case is the EU Registration Certificate

Here, you must enter your personal data (NIE, DNI or Passport, full name…) and select the available date and time.

Recommendation: In case of not finding an available appointment date, constantly refresh the page day by day until you find some space.

Input your personal data

And that’s it! Remember that this procedure is made in person, so we suggest having all the necessary documentation in advance to avoid inconveniences and the possible denial of the EU Registration Certificate at the Police Station. 

Although, you don’t necessarily have to do this whole process on your own. Entre Trámites can manage your EU Registration Certificate!

We offer free advice to solve all your doubts about this subject, and we invite you to check our immigration services out here. Fill in our contact form and we will call you to help you as soon as possible, schedule your online consultation, or simply text our Whatsapp.

Artículos relacionados