Do you want to apply for an international trademark in Spain 2023? Protecting a brand, logo or other product across international borders is an essential step for success, and registering an international trademark in Spain can have a huge impact on the global market. This application in Spain can be complicated, but with this guide you will know how to carry out the process step by step.
What is an international brand?
An international trademark is a registered trademark in several countries at the same time. This option is ideal for those companies that want to expand internationally and protect their brand in several territories at the same time.
In Spain, the registration of international trademarks is carried out through the Spanish Patent and Trademark Office (OEPM in Spanish), which is the entity in charge of managing the registration of trademarks and patents in the country.
Steps to apply for an international trademark in Spain
To apply for an international trademark in Spain, it is necessary to follow the following steps:
- Carry out a preliminary trademark search: Before applying for an international trademark, it is important to carry out a preliminary search to ensure that the trademark you wish to register is not already registered by another company. To do so, the SPTO database can be used.
- Apply for the international trademark: The application for an international trademark is made through the International Office of Intellectual Property (OMPI in Spanish). The application must include detailed information about the trademark, such as its name, description and the territory where it is to be registered.
- Designate the territories in which you wish to register the trademark: The international trademark application must indicate the territories in which you wish to register the trademark. WIPO will send the request to the intellectual property offices of each corresponding country.
- Make the payment of fees: To register an international trademark, the corresponding fees must be paid both to WIPO and to each of the intellectual property offices of the selected territories.
- Wait for the decision of each intellectual property office: Each intellectual property office will examine the application and issue a decision on whether to approve or deny the registration of the trademark in its territory.
- Maintaining the registered trademark: Once the international trademark is registered, it is important to keep it registered by paying the corresponding fees and renewing its registration in each of the territories where it has been registered.
Without a doubt, this can be a complex process, but it is essential to protect a company’s brand internationally. By following the steps mentioned above, you can apply for an international trademark in Spain in 2023 and ensure that the company’s intellectual property is being protected in all the territories in which you wish to operate. It is advisable to have the advice of an intellectual property expert to ensure that all procedures are carried out correctly.
Do you need more information about international trademark in Spain?
We want to listen to you and know what your questions are about the procedures you have to carry out. Count on the advice of our experts to clarify all your doubts.
At Entre Trámites we invite you to know about our services. Fill in our contact form and we will call you to help you as soon as possible, schedule a free online consultation, or simply text our WhatsApp.